A new word in payments processing
Growing your business with quality payments processing
Creating a smooth and seamless customer journey with state-of-the-art payment optimisation fine-tuned to your business needs.
Credit card processing
Fraud & Chargeback Prevention
Company & account registration
Enjoy cutting-edge payments technology that allows for alternative payment methods processing to meet the needs of even the most demanding clients.Learn more
Using state-of-the-art technologies to create a seamless payment processing experienceLearn more
Regardless of your business size, we offer solutions tailored to exceed your business needsLearn more
High Risk Payments FAQ
- What is a high-risk merchant account?
- A high-risk merchant account is an agreement between a merchant and a bank. It acts as legal permission to accept credit card payments online. It also allows accepting wires, E-wallet payments, crypto, debit cards, and international (local) payment methods of merchant's choice. To get a high-risk merchant account, one needs to fill out the application. Once a payment system provider approves the application, a merchant receives a payment gateway, the software that allows accepting payments online.
- Who needs a high-risk merchant account?
- A high-risk merchant account is a must for all the high-risk merchants who are willing to accept payments online. To find out whether your business is high-risk, see the list of high-risk industries below.
- What industries are high-risk?
The main reasons why some industries are considered high-risk are a high level of chargebacks and a company's business nature. Take a look at the list of most popular high-risk industries:
- NUTRA (nutraceuticals)
- CBD oil
- Online dating
- Sports betting
- Crypto exchanges
- What is the transaction fee?
- The transaction fee is a percentage of money (sometimes a fixed price) charged by a PSP for every online purchase made on a merchant's website. Let's say you sell items for $100 per each. Your PSP's transaction fee is 1.2%. If someone buys a product on your website, the PSP of yours charges $1.2 while you keep all the rest. The transaction fees for high-risk businesses are always higher than those for low or middle-risk businesses. The possible risks are to blame.
- What are chargebacks?
- Chargebacks are the disputes made by clients that are dissatisfied with a quality of a purchase or claim it to be fraudulent. If a client decides to apply for a chargeback, he/she fills in the form at a bank. If the bank finds the dispute valid, the funds are automatically charged from a merchant's bank account and transferred to a client's bank account.
- How to apply for a high-risk merchant account?
- To apply for a high-risk merchant account, you need to choose a payment system provider (PSP). There is a wide range of solutions on the internet. Some of them are processing high-risk merchants, while others are only processing low and middle-risk businesses. Consider your GEO, as well. Some PSPs work in Europe, U.S.A, India, e.g.. However, some offer payment services and solutions internationally. Once you have chosen a payment provider, you have to fill out the application form. It will be sent to you after registration on a provider's website. You will also need to attach some essential documents to your application. See the list of documents below.
- What documents I need to open a high-risk merchant account?
Take a look at the list of documents to open a high-risk merchant account:
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Certificate of incumbency
- Local documents as per company jurisdiction which displays company directors and owners
- Utility bill/Bank statement/Rental agreement under corporate names proving company location
- Valid ID copies for all company directors and owners
- What are website requirements to open a high-risk merchant account?
High-Risk Merchant Account Provider
Whatever a business produces — branded t-shirts or software subscriptions — it needs a merchant account to process online payments. Nowadays, many payment service providers and banks offer high-risk merchant solutions. Without them, high-risk businesses cannot process Visa / MasterCard credit and debit card payments.
High-risk payments: what’s wrong with them?
Though merchant application is easy, getting approved for a merchant account can prove to be a serious problem. Luckily, high-risk processing always comes in handy for all those who get thrown overboard for no apparent reason.
High chargeback rates, large transaction volumes, and casual high-cost sales turn to be a real pain in the neck for high-risk e-commerce businesses. Since most of them work in highly regulated fields, they run into problems when seeking reliable high-risk merchant solutions.
High-risk merchant solutions 101
Many merchants have no clue about specific traits that define high-risk payment processing. Let’s clear it up straight off the bat, determining what puts a ‘high-risk’ label on your business reputation.
Though criteria for evaluating high-risk profile differ from one payment service provider to another, some factors are common for all parties.
- High fraud/chargeback rate. If your chargeback rate or level of fraud is a way too high, your business automatically falls under the high-risk category. This qualification depends solely on customer behaviuor patterns.
- Offshore business. If your business is registered in Cyprus, but you’re headquartered in Europe and work primarily with Canada, you may be also considered high-risk. The probability of fraud is a strong point here, but lax banking laws also matter, as they may put your business reputation at risk.
- High average purchase amount. Processing large B2B payment methods is no good for whatever business type. Just because high-cost credit card transactions are often associated with high-risk businesses.
- Services/products of doubtful legality. This factor is the most closely associated with high-risk processing. Businesses having any doubtful area of focus (e.g. selling nutra products or distributing adult services) are considered high-risk.
- Practices of questionable character. If your business is involved in any type of doubtful sales/marketing tactics, most financial institutions will consider it high-risk.
- Poor credit history. While the above factors all turn around your business, this one is different — it focuses on your personal credit record. If it is poor, you’re all likely to join the high-risk crew.
These are the most general criteria that may be used for evaluating your business reputation. Since the high-risk e-commerce landscape is changing and evolving all the time, it’s essential to keep up with the latest shifts in the law. Opting for a reliable high-risk merchant processing provider, you can leave such challenges behind.
With PaySpace, high-risk processing turns hassle-free
High-risk merchants know how difficult getting the right merchant account may be. Back in 2009, PaySpace carved its own place in high-risk payment processing. Since then, PaySpace has significantly expanded its opportunities, enabling global high-risk payments across various high-risk business industries.
Almost 10 years on from its launch, PaySpace became an experienced high-risk payment provider offering a full suite of payment processing services. Today, we focus primarily on high-risk payment solutions, working with SaaS, online gambling, and dating businesses worldwide. Among our clients for which we provide high-risk payment processing include:
- online gambling;
- crypto merchants;
- online dating;
- adult businesses;
- forex merchants;
- tech support;
- web hosting;
- travel booking;
Whenever your bank turns you away, let the leading high-risk payment provider help you out. PaySpace gives a hundred-percent guarantee that you’re never out of reach from getting the assistance right the moment you need it.
PaySpace payment provider: why us?
PaySpace believes that every online business has a set of specific needs, not depending on its industry, location, or size. That’s why we guide our clients through the entire merchant application journey, providing quality, one-on-one customer support.
Among the additional advantages of our high-risk merchant processing include:
- Large acquiring network. Since we worked with a sheer number of both local and international acquiring partners, we can recommend the top choice for your particular industry.
- PCI DSS compliance. Nowadays, the high-risk payments landscape is much different from what it looked like 10 years ago. That’s why we establish agreements with PCI DSS compliant banking partners only.
- Multi-currency support. PaySpace has ready-made solutions for accepting the world’s most popular currencies while also processing local and commonly used credit card brands (e.g. Visa / MasterCard).
- Fraud & chargeback management. Since fraud management is a key element of high-risk payment processing, PaySpace offers a full pack of leading-edge solutions to mitigate chargeback & fraud problems.
- Customization on the go. We don’t provide our merchants with an all-in-one business package. Instead, we define a set of individual business requirements, speaking with each merchant in person and discussing solutions available for optimal rates.
On top of it all, PaySpace offers a fast, smooth, and pain-free application process. No matter your service, product, industry, platform or device, applying for a merchant account is a piece of cake, as it takes a few minutes of your time.
So what’s the hold up for using the quality high-risk processing solutions? At the moment, they are just one click away. Hit the contact button and apply now!